Hendon Hadas Shul, one of Londons largest Orthodox congregations, traces its origins to a handful of immigrants from Germany and Austria who established their own Congregration in the late summer of 1939.
For two and a half decades from 1940 to 1955 until his retirement Rabbi Knoblewicz
was the Rav of the Hendopn Adath Yisroel- and in that tine built up the
Congregation together with the lay Leaders of the day into one of the
foremost orthodox Kehilloth of London and indeed of the United Kingdom.
But not only was he the uncontested מרא דאתרא of the community he was
the teacher and educator in Thora to hundreds of boys of the Congregation,
preparing them in our Talmud Thora to Yeshiva standard. and was their
guide into the Midaus of אהבת התורה ויראתשמים. As a pedagogue he had
no problems of discipline in lessons. His simplicity and sincerity won
him the respect and derech erez of every pupil whatever his age.
On 22nd January 2012, a large crowd of well over 500 people, gathered at the Hasmonean Boys School, at a reception held to mark the retirement of Chazan Segal after 49 years of loyal and devoted service to our Kehilla.
Our members, including one who had travelled from Eretz Yisroel especially to be present at this historic occasion, were joined by friends of the Segal family. Over the course of his tenure, the Chazan had endeared himself to the Kehilla through his fine middos, devotion to duty – a characteristic mentioned constantly throughout the evening – and his anivus.
In his address, the Rov שליט”א, spoke of the extraordinary dedication and devotion shown by the
Chazan whose beautiful voice was a gift from the רבונו של עולם and the Chazan had elevated this
attribute by using it for the purpose of leading and inspiring the Kehilla in Tefilla. The Rov added
that it must be a tremendous source of nachas to the Chazan and his wife to be זוכה to witness
the appointment of his youngest son, Rabbi Eli Segal as the new שליח צבור.
Rav Pinchos Roberts was born and raised in Liverpool into a family that remained staunchly loyal to Torah values and Shmiras Hamitzos in spite of the winds of change that were prevalent amongst Anglo Jewry at the time. The Liverpool Kehilla was then led by the late Rav Zalman Plitnick זצ”ל whose brother-inlaw Rav Nachman Landinski זצ”ל was the first Rosh HaYeshiva in Gateshead.
In 1950, Rabbi Roberts joined Gateshead Yeshiva which was then headed by Rav Leib Gurwicz זצ”ל, Rav Leib Lopian זצ”ל, the Mashgiach Rav Moishe Schwab זצ”ל and the Menahel Rav Eliezer Kahan זצ”ל. His aptitude, eagerness to learn, perseverance and Hasmodo soon identified him as a budding Talmid Chochom. From the Yeshiva he graduated to the Gateshead Kollel renowned throughout the world for the calibre of the illustrious Talmidei Chachomim that constituted its membership.